Sunday 19 February 2012

And the the winner is.... Me horarraaa

Great little half marathon at Dorney lake yesterday. It was racing against yourself to increase your overall pace. They had the runners world magazine pace team there so I was attempting a 1:45 half marathon time. Bear in mind the fastest I have run one was windsor half in 2:03 it was a hell of a task to complete.  All started off well, I was on pace for the first 6 miles and feeling good. I then got an enormous pain in my chest, seeing that I am running for st George's Heart unit where my dad had triple bypass surgery, I thought it best to slow down! It was like the biggest stitch you have ever had but inside your ribcage. I was down 2 mins and considering pulling off to the side when I released the loudest belch known to mankind, it was so load infact that people around me wearing headphones were laughing. Pain gone. I started to make up the time but just couldn't catch up to the pacers. This was however the first race I have ever done that I lapped people. I was very proud and remembered how I was in their place only a few months back. The rest of the race went well, I finished in 1:51:00, 12 minutes shaved off my personal best. I was very chuffed at the end and kept thinking that I could do better if it were not for issue of gas. I am aiming for a below 4 hour marathon time so I now know the kind of pace I need at the beginning to get the breathing space if my legs give up at the end. Final clip finished on the final video, finally.... The winner of the james bond first edition book was Katie howard. Watch out for an even better competition in the near future

7 comments:

  1. The burping story made me smile....running is not pretty is it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too and also very glad that it was nothing more serious than a bit of trapped wind! Well done on getting your half marathon pb Dan!

      Delete
  2. Dan, have you got any photos I can pop onto Facebook today? Preferably not one of you burping, but perhaps coming over the finish line triumphant in achieving your new personal best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha they have just been released, I haven't purchased them but if you need them let me know andi will

    The link is

    www.sportcam.net. Go to race your pace half, bib number 1010

    Be warned there are some very dodgy faces being pulled he he

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dan, no please don't worry in that case as I don't want you to go broke, because you're spending money on race photos everytime you do one. After all, you're doing so many races that it would make a serious dent in your bank account!

      Delete
  4. Ok next time I do a race and I look a lot less constipated I will buy them for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete