Wednesday 4 April 2012

Holy hail storms batman

What a weekend, ups and downs is the best way to describe it. The biggest down was finding out the stag weekend dates had changed for geoffs send off into the married world......and I am doing Air traffic control at Lowestoft airs how .....f&&& it!!! I can't believe being one of the ushers I wont be able to make one of my best friends stag weekends. Someone who gave us such enormous help during our wedding and just one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I found out on Friday purely by chance and have spent all weekend trying to get cover, trying to get out of the air show even offering to pay my way out but no. My contract was signed in early march and it's water tight. Damn it.... When you do something like this you name needs to be down for safety cases, emergency plans etc which cannot be changed once done. Just not a happy bunny today. I had to put all that aside somehow for Sunday. Last race of the duathlon season for Iain and myself and we won. Now normally I would be quite held back and talk about how well everybody did etc etc......... Screw that we won,  we won the team race and we won the USN Dorney lake team duathlon series! We won it this time in style. A full two minutes off the bike time and 40 seconds off both runs.  With all the professional individual runners we came second overall. We were within a gnats whisker of beating all the GB guys. It was the final leg and I was catching up with the number 1 GB guy. My lungs were burning, my knees, ankles Achilles,hamstrings all felt like they were going to break (imagine running at your fastest possible speed for 2.5k then cooling down for 18 mins then doing exactly the same again, you need to be hitting 6 min miles at the slowest!! Try it next time your out). He didn't realise I was there, saw me at the final turning point and shot off, I just could not catch up. He didn't have an ounce of fat on him, he was about 5'8 and looked like he weighed 8 stone. I had no chance. Iain really put us up in the rankings, he averaged 22 mph through the whole course, now take into account there are 2 180 degree turns and it's pretty amazing. It was good weather so he could go all out. All over for this year for us as a team. I think we will try a different series next year as we didn't even get a medal, just a credit note to get money off our next race. Pretty poor show I thought. So 19 days until the big one. Did a 20 mile run last night through a hail storm, hail hurts!! I think 2 more 20 milers and I will be happy. Going to run down the Basingstoke canal and find somewhere else just to rack the miles up. Then lots of hard aerobic tennis and some football/american football to keep the injury risk down but the heart rate up.

No comments:

Post a Comment